Is your home PC used by a number of people in your family, especially kids? Then it might make sense to password protect internet access with a password. It is not always possible to monitor kids when they are happily clicking away. You can never be sure of what websites they are surfing through, until you check the web history, and by then it is usually too late. If you keep your internet browser protected with a password, you can at least be sure that your kids cannot browse the internet, unless it is under your supervision.
So, let’s see how you can password protect your Internet Explorer 8 (IE8), so that nobody can surf the internet unless they know the password. The process is not at all complicated. Here’s how you can get it done:
- Run Internet Explorer.
- On the top menu bar, click on Tools, and then on Internet Options.
- Click on the tab named Content.
- In the section named Content Advisor, click on the button named Enable.
- A new pop up window will instruct you to enter the supervisor password. Enter the password in the field named Password. Then, enter the same password in the second field, named Confirm Password. Note that these two passwords have to be exactly the same. The passwords are also case sensitive, so make sure that the Caps Lock key on the keyboard is turned off.
- You will see a box named Hint under the Confirm Password box. If you have entered a rather complex password, then it is a good idea to add a hint here that will help you remember the password in a jiffy. However, make sure that you do not enter the actual password in this field. Some users have been found to actually make that fatal mistake.
- Click on the OK button when you are done.
- Close the Internet Options box and restart IE8.
That’s all you have to do. Now, whenever attempts to connect to the internet from your PC, the browser will ask him/ her to enter the supervisor password. Without it, nobody will be able to browse the internet from your PC. One may argue that this won’t apply to other browsers in your system, but if you have only IE8 web browser in your PC, then this trick will work like a charm. Anyone trying to download another browser will also have to get it through IE only, anyway.