Why does Svchost.exe access the Net?
When you start up your PC running Microsoft Windows operating system, a number of DLL files need to be loaded one after another, to ensure normal functioning of a number of system services. However, DLL files cannot start by themselves and need some process to call and run those. The svchost.exe is a program that can call these DLL files and load those one after another. The name svchost is simply an abbreviation of the name Service Host, which sort of describes the function of this indispensable component of the Windows operating system right there.
If you have a firewall installed in your PC, you will often receive warnings that svchost.exe is trying to access the internet. Many people make a mistake at this point thinking that the security of their PC has been compromised and that svchost.exe is probably infected with a spyware, or virus. This is not a completely wrong idea, because svchost.exe can be infected by a virus. However, that is not a very common phenomenon.
So, under general circumstances, why does svchost.exe attempt to connect to the internet? The reason is that if you have Automatic Update turned on in Windows, svchost will periodically attempt to connect to the internet and synchronize your system clock with Windows Time Server. This keeps your clock synchronized with the accurate time in your region via internet at all times, but might slow your internet connection speed.
If you do not want this service, you can switch it off by following the process given below:
- Right click the clock on the taskbar.
- Click on Adjust Date/Time.
- In the box that opens, click on the tab marked “Internet Time”.
- Notice whether the check box titled “Automatically synchronize with an Internet time server” is checked. If so, uncheck the box.
- Click on “Apply” first, then on “OK”.
Your svchost.exe should stop connecting with the internet now, provided that it has not been infected by a virus.
Incoming search terms:
- block svchost from accessing internet (1)
- svchost killing network speed (1)
- svchost internet slow (1)
- svchost internet access (1)
- svchost exe slowing internet connection (1)
- svchost exe network speed (1)
- svchost exe (netsvcs) uses all internet speed? (1)
- svchost accessing internet (1)
- how to block internet access of the service svchost exe (1)
- svhost get the speed of net (1)